« Home | Next step/s » | Journey forward [images to be added!] » | Project Status : Paused » | Mark Napier - Black & White » | Joshua Davis et al - Amalgamatmosphere » | LimteaZero - Active Metaphor » | CarnivorePE » | Viral & Social Networks » | Studio Brief: » 

Sunday, April 30, 2006 

Project Status : Re-Awakened once again!!

I have finally submitted all of my other projects and now have the time to dedicate to this brief.

For my final review of last term I presented my work so far. This included the manual glitching of image files using a number of different hex edtors as well as a small flash app which created a generative image using a number entered by the user. I also used an app called Zinc to add the capability to take a screen shot of the image generated.

Through using this method to display various alpha-numeric numbers from my personal life [bank account number, phone number, National Insurance no. etc.] it was mentioned by both Anneke and Spencer that it was interesting that I was taking relevantly public information and encrypting it. This was not a angle that I had considered, in my mind I was just using such information as it was a way of making the images created personal to me [I had also attempted to re-create a DNA-esque format to the images themselves to continue this concept].

It was sugested that I research into Cryptography and Encryption. Despite my initial thoughts [I couldn't see how to exploit this new concept!] I have decided that this is the route that my work shall start to follow. I have another blog post or 2 to write and then I am to continue reading Public-Key Cryptography by Arto Salomaa.

I am also planning on reading [some of] practical cryptology and web security by PK Yeun and The Codebreakers by David Kahn. The former seems to offer some instruction towards creating encrypted webpages, which is an experiment I wish to undertake as part of the development of my initial idea, where as the latter seems to be based more on the historical and contextual aspects of codes through the centuries. I hope to gleam more of a conceptual standpoint from this book to help develop this aspect of my project.

It seems far too late to still be as undecided about my final outcome as I currently am, but this avenue of thought seems to be way too interesting, and extremely geeky for me to ignore.