« Home | Studio Brief: » 

Friday, February 10, 2006 

Viral & Social Networks

It seems that all students have been put into 1 of 5 groups for this terms studio brief [Time-Nature, Time-Man, Cities|Growth, Viral & Social Networks and Memories-Deterioration]. Each groups has been constructed so that we are all working in similar fields of thought rather than simply using the same technologies.

This should in theory allow for a greater mix of input and criticism about each of our individual projects, and to be honest it's how studio [other other modules] should have been structured to in the first year. Tangent!

As detailed in my brief, I wish to create a series of small applications that will take both a pre-made file [image/sound/video] and glitch it in a predefined way. The predefined way shall however be affected by information taken from a live data source. The intention is therefore to glitch the same files at different times to see how differently they come out, despite having used the same data source in each instance.

In disscussing this with Anneke, it has become clear that not only do I need to get my act together and start a) learning the technologies I want/need to use and b) speak to those in the know that can assist me with my desired outcome. But I also need to define a reason for wanting to create these new, altered files. I need to come up with a concept or philosophy that the project should express.

This is something that I have started to consider in a lot of my projects. I am starting to see the beginnings of a theme developing through my concepts. That theme is a form of voyeurism or possibly a form of self-consciousness. Each project has a certain element that either looks into the lives of others, or asks for others to provide their opinion into the lives of others. This is an idea that I wish to explore further in my own time [and is also the start of my first idea for a dissertation for my final year].

As for this studio project I am planning now to study the various carnivore clients developed already to see not only what sort of technologies are used but also, and perhaps more importantly, what concepts are being explored with each of the clients.

About me

  • I'm Paul Coffield
  • From Huddersfield, United Kingdom
My profile

Previous posts